Thursday, May 04, 2006

 

Another day, another blogger

During the summer of 2003, I moved from Cincinnati to San Francisco. You know how it is – junior year ends, you find yourself with no obligations and jump at the first opportunity to do something interesting. The three-month endeavor was largely a success. I worked at a giant downtown record store called The Virgin Megastore, met a number of lovely individuals from all over the world and found myself blogging about my adventures regularly.

But you see, being so far from home had a devastating impact on my social life. The natural progression from “acquaintance” to “friend” was far too slow for me to rely on my new San Franciscan roomates for the attention that I crave on a semi-daily basis. The Internet offered enough of the comforts of home – the sharing of daily reflections and the narratives of juvenile delinquent-ism – to keep me from feeling lonely or isolated.

For myself, blogging allowed me to document the exciting, if somewhat immature, proceedings of that rain-free summer. It also allowed my friends back home to relate to my experiences and whatever feelings I could articulate to them.

Since then, my blogging technique has changed a bit. Serious political discussions have been known to grace what one was a smart-alec documentation of youth. Today, the forum is still used for descriptions of humorous situations and stories of accidental failure (Everyone adores the lovable loser).

If you asked me whether or not I plan to continue blogging, I’d say, “Yea, I’m totally into it.”

Comments:
Did your friends interact with you a lot or did you write the blog mostly for yourself?
When I was in France, I started out writing the blog for my friends and family, but then I realized none of them really read it on a regular basis. Then it became something I did for myself. A sort of journal to document my experiences and reflections.
Was/is it like that for you?
 
I used Livejournal.com so it was very interactive between my blog and my friends' blogs. I don't know if you're familiar with that site, but you can view a list of your friends' most recent blogs and then comment on them.

These days it's basically a journal that documents my experiences. It has a bunch of funny reactions from my friends documented also, which is kind of nice.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?